I know. Freeware and open source is NOT the same. I always try to pick open source apps, when they also provide full functionality for free – happy days for me!
These are the apps I regularly use and I wholeheartedly recommend
- Mozilla Firefox
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Mozbackup (a tool to migrate Thunderbird installations between computers)
- AIMP (media player)
- Allwaysync (syncronization tool)
- Audacity (audio software)
- Lightshot (screen capture software)
- MobaXterm (Xserver with ssh etc)
Usually, I start with a Ninite installation so I can get most of these out of the way.